Saturday, August 28, 2010

Oh Fullness

Yesterday was quite full. We had a few orientation things in the morning (along with free breakfast). They were pretty basic orientation things. Community rules, safety in the city, a few little get to know games. It was great. Then we had lunch on the roof (because there is this super sweet deck on the roof, from which I can see the capital building). This lunch was with the intention of meeting and getting to know the staff of Best Semester and the CCCU. There were maybe about ten people that didn't work directly with ASP and WJC. They were really nice people though. It's surprising how completely uncomfortable really does make me a different person. I mean, come on, I talk to strangers, that's big for me.

Then we went on a scavenger hunt around the city. Oh man, I loved it! The city is divided rather nicely into 4 quadrants and the center of the city, which is the capital building. They put us into teams and gave us a list of different places to go see in the city.

First we went to the Library of Congress and got our Reader Cards. I felt SO legit. I can go into the Library of Congress and do research there. I can go place you can't go on the tours. OMG!! I think I flipped out a little when I first got it. And it lasts for two years, so if I come back after I graduate, it will still work.

Next we went into Anacostia to see the Big Chair. I'm not sure what the significance of the Big Chair is. It's outside of the government buildings in Anacostia, but other than that, I was a little lost at the significance. Anacostia is supposedly one of the more sketchy areas of town. Other than the group I was with I only saw one other white person there. I fell in love with it though, and I'm not quite sure why. When we first got off the metro, we went the wrong way. I'm not that great with maps, and for some reason it was my responsibility to get us to where we were going that time. So, because we were going the wrong way, we passed by a charter school as it was letting out. It was a K-8 school, and all the kids were in uniforms. It was probably the cutest thing I'd ever seen! We passed so many adorable children in school uniforms. But then we had to turn around because the sidewalk ended and there was a freeway. No bueno.

We turned around and walked back and found the street we were supposed to turn on. We found the big chair and then went to the coffee shop across the street. The coffee shop had only been open for 7 months, but the owner and workers were so friendly. We talked to them for a while. The owner was from Ethiopia and I wish I remembered his name. He's lived in the greater DC area for 18 years. He went to university in France. He was really cool. Then there was this one worker, she had just moved back to DC after living in West Virginia. She'd only been working at the coffee shop for about a week and didn't really know how to make any of the drinks yet. She smiled so much while were there. I couldn't quite figure out why. She was really friendly and talkative though. I loved hearing about their stories and what they were doing in life. I wish we could have stayed and talked longer, but my group was ansy to get to the other parts of the scavenger hunt.

Next we went to the US Botanic Gardens. The conservatory part had just closed when we got there, but it was beautiful! All different kinds of plants and a pretty fountain. I liked it there. Apparently that's where the congressional offices get the plants for their offices. We didn't spend very much time there, just long enough to catch our breath and get our bearings for where we were going next.

Dupont Circle and Embassy Row were next on our list. So, we hopped back on the metro and off we went. We never actually made it to Embassy Row, but we did find the Embassy of Senegal (which, for all my High Sierra friends, reminded me of Nod). We were all starving and tired at this point, so we ate at Jonny Rockets. I'd never even heard of it before, but it reminded me of Ruby's. It was very similar. We were done for the day, so back home to the Dellenbeck Center we went.

I liked my group well enough. I really clicked with one of guys, he's from Maine and goes to school just outside Pittsburgh. I'm learning a lot about only children here. I realized that I don't really know many only children. They just operate on a different mindset. It's very interesting to learn about. I'm also remembering that I don't generally get a long with girls that well. I forget that when I'm at APU and with all my friends, who are girls. But girls are just hard to get to know and get along with at first. Guys are just easier. I'm sure I'll make more girl friends, it'll just take more time.

I have really clicked with one of the girls in my apartment though, Virginia is her name. We really get each other and have this comfort with one another. It's great. We both view the world in a very similar manner. Ironically, she's good friends with the guy from my group that I clicked with, his name is Jon.

After we got back from our scavenger hunt, the three of us watched on a movie, Wag the Dog. I'd never heard of it, probably because it came out when I was like 3 or something. But oh man, it was awesome. Great satirical political humor.

All in all, it was a very long day, full of getting to know people and the city. Much better than Thursday, probably because I actually got a full nights sleep. I've been waking up with headaches though, and I'm not sure why. I'm trying to figure it out. I might not be drinking enough water.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like so much fun! I can't believe you've never heard of Johnny Rockets. You've definitely walked past one. =) We have one in downtown HB right next to the CVS where you got cheez-its. haha

    Glad you're loving it! I'll be praying for you and your relationships this semester! =)

    ReplyDelete