Monday, August 30, 2010

Monuments and Memorials

So, today we had an academic orientation (only after we were once again informed of how dangerous it is in the city and how we shouldn't break any of the community covenant rules). They only gave us info about the Topics in Vocation and Leadership class because they didn't want to overwhelm us. I don't think they realize that some people are overwhelmed by a lack of information. At this point, when all I want is something that I can grasp and hold onto, no information is kind of unsettling. Oh well.

BUT, then we went on a monument/memorial tour! At this point I've forgotten which ones were monuments and which ones were memorials. So, I'll do my best, but I'm not about to look them up, so just bear with me. First, we went to the Washington Monument. They reserved us tickets to go the top! It was so cool to see the city from way up high. Random Fact: Washington DC was planned and laid out by the same guy that planned Paris, L'efant....L'fante....I'm not really sure how to spell his name, it's french and they use all sorts of letters that they don't say. Since we were there, we walked along the Reflecting Pool to the Lincoln Memorial. I always forget how much I love Lincoln. His speeches are just so profound. The Gettysburg Address and his Second Inagural Address. They are some of the most beautiful speeches, especially when they are huge and on very high walls. Then we saw the Korean War Memorial and the Vietnam War Memorial, both of which are right by the Lincoln Memorial. We then went on an adventure to find food and get home. We ended up eating at this really cute sandwich place kinda like Subway, but less commercialized. It was very DC and it was delish! I loved it.

Almost everyone in the program went to the Washington Monument because they had reserved us tickets, but then the group split up into three different groups. The group I ended up in was so good! It was a good mix of people I knew and didn't really know. Kate, one of my roommates; Gillian, the other student here from APU; and other people I didn't really know. We mingled a lot and got to know each other. It was so much fun.

One thing I did learn on this excursion was how Biola makes fun of APU. Two of the people in my group were from Biola, Kate and Ryan. Here's how: 1) They pray for us whenever we come up, because they know we're not real Christians and could never hold our own in a theological discussion; 2)At basketball games they now have a similar thing to APU's Blackout. They call it the Red Sea. But there is this skit that goes along with it. Their mascot, the Eagle, is Moses. Biola is the Red Sea and Moses (or the Eagle) parts the Red Sea. When the Egyptians (dressed in all Black, mind you) try to cross the sea, it swallows them up. Oh, how clever, Biola, how clever!

Welp, thats about it. Slowly getting to see the city and experience it bit by bit.

Still no internship news....fail.

2 comments:

  1. I think Biola is all talk as i have never seen egyptians swallowed up. And the "Red Sea" was not their original idea as I once held a sign while at a high school basketball game in the northern part of our state which read "The Lions Pee in the Red Sea" We thought it was funny, administration did not and came over to yell at me. I guess the way we despise each other is unique in its own way. Whatever

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm I loved seeing all of the memorials and monuments in DC...wish I could come visit and see them again with you! Still praying for you and your internship!

    PS Biola makes too big of a deal out of the APU/Biola rivalry...and then tells us we make too big of a deal out of it. I don't understand. haha.

    ReplyDelete