Saturday, February 9, 2013

Playing Tourist

A few days ago Josh and I played tourist and went to Pão de Açúcar (Sugarloaf Mountain) with one of our housemates, Adilio, playing guide. It's a popular tourist spot for those visiting Brazil. And it was plenty busy with all the tourists in the city for Carnaval. Here are a few pictures of the adventure!

 

You see that little building at the top of that hill/rock thing? That is our final destination! First we had to hike up the hill to the left of it. It was a crazy hard, straight up a rock kind of hike, so I didn't take any pictures of it.  For my APU friends, it was kind of like hiking Garcia Trail, but a little more humid.


This is a picture of the same plaza in the previous picture, but from a slightly different angle, the top of the small rock/hill. 


Josh, me, and Adilio after the crazy hike. Halfway there!


The only way to get to the top of the next hill/rock is via cable car!


I was really excited to go, so I made the boys take an excited picture with me!


The view from the cable car! 


We are up so high!


Our fellow cable car riders!




The view from the top...it really is better. 

.
..
...
....
......
.......

AND

One last little bonus! 
.......
......
.....
....
...
..
.
These guys!

 

These guys were at the top with us! Don't worry, I'm just as curious about what they are wearing as you are. It's apparently pretty common to dress up in the strangest ways for Carnaval. Guys dress up as women, couples dress up as flinstones (there were actually several of these) and these guys put on these skin tight onesies. I just had to share this with you. We were at that same lookout for a while, so I learned that they are definitely American and one of them has watched at least one episode of Glee! I know you wanted all those details. ;-) They were definitely a highlight. You know my love for all things ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment