Thursday, February 14, 2013

Going Green

I've never been one who is much concerned with recycling and doing things in a way that is good for the environment. Sure, we have limited resources and what not. But I'm really only going to do anything about it if it is easy.  I'll bring my own mug to Starbucks or use re-usable bags at grocery stores (mostly motivated by the $0.10 it saves me; bonus that it helps the environment). Know that I am never going to grow my own food in the backyard (I mean, I'm not even sure HOW this helps the environment.) Mostly, I just don't understand how the environment and pollution really work and I don't really have a desire to know.

So imagine my surprise when I realized how much I cared that Rio is so very NOT a green city. Plastic bags are everywhere. And because you bag your own groceries here, people use far more than I think is necessary, double bagging every bag. There are more cars on the road than LA sometimes. There is trash on every street. And this actually concerned me! I finally have come to appreciate (though I'm not entirely sure how) the environment.

All of this is without conclusion. I know there are a myriad of reasons Rio has not had the opportunity to  focus on the environment yet because it has issues that have far more immediate consequences to deal with. But I noticed. And it surprised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment