Saturday, March 2, 2013

English Class {matul}


The other day, Josh and I visited a local public elementary school. We have a friend who works for an after-school program. She is hoping that we will be able to help out with the English part of their program. So, we went and visited to see what it might look like for us to be involved. 

When the normal teacher told the students that there were two Americans here to talk with them, they didn't believe her. They called her a liar. When we walked in, it was like we were celebrities. They were SO excited. No one has been this excited to meet me ever. 

At first they were really shy and scared to speak. Then things warmed up a bit when Josh asked about which soccer team was everyone's favorite. (Soccer is like a national religion down here. Literally everybody has a team.) Then they pulled out their phones and started taking videos of us talking. Then they wanted to take pictures of us. And then they started asking for autographs. 

It felt really strange. There is literally no reason they should be this excited to meet me. I am just a person from another country. My mind couldn't quite handle it. I couldn't figure out what would have been a correct response.

On the one hand, maybe American's are too nonchalant about people from other countries. We don't really get excited about anyone moving to America. Maybe we should be more excited to meet people in our home towns who are from distant lands? It's exciting!On the other hand however, we are all just people. And American's should not be idolized by these kids like they seem to be. It perpetuates the "the USA is better than us" mindset, which is just false. And yes, there is a proper level of excitement about meeting a native speaker of the language you are learning, especially if it's the first time. 

Can you feel my tension? I'm glad that our encounter will encourage them to keep studying. Education is so important, and something I've often taken for granted. I mean, I'm in a Master's program and most people in my community barely finish high school, if that. I am beyond privileged to have this level of education.

I don't really know what point I'm trying to make, if there even is one. So often in the last three and a half weeks I've encountered things about which I don't know how to feel. Things here are simultaneously beautiful and concerning. It will require much more thought and prayer to fully understand all that surrounds me. 

1 comment:

  1. I know what the kids were feeling! They were really excited because it feels like they can touch the world! They can do anything, they can dream!
    By the way you and Josh are too cool to be true! Imagine what means having a american friend for this kids! I don't know if they think that americans are better, but they probably think that a lot of cool stuffs are from USA! Music, movies, technology, TV series... they can see american's things every day, BUT be able to know an american?!?!?!?!?!?!? No wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! :) I am very happy for them! And for you two also!

    ReplyDelete