Friday, March 8, 2013

Clumsy As Ever


Okay guys. I want you all to think back to the beginning of your relationship with me. For most of you, I'm guessing that within the first few months of knowing me I had a slightly real injury. One for which I had to go the doctor's office for. Or perhaps it was a series of mishaps that mark that time. I remember when I was almost 14 years old I spent a week in Mexico on a mission trip. 10 days. I literally spilled something ever, single, day. My sister constantly makes fun of my lack of spatial awareness. I just never seem to know where my body is in relation to all that is around me. I run into walls and doors all the time.

Well, it finally happened here. Exactly one month after arriving in Brazil, I had a slightly real injury occur, for which I needed to go to the doctor. 

A couple nights ago I was walking back home with some friends after a birthday party. It had been a splendid evening. Lots of singing, dancing, learning new words, and making new friends. Walking back, I was definitely feeling VERY tired. I almost fell once,but my friend Aline caught me. I mean, the streets (which are more like alley ways here) aren't always the best constructed places to be walking. So we were walking. I was looking down, well, because I have to. There are countless stairs, of varying lengths and depths, an abundance of cockroaches, the occasional mouse, and many more obstacles to overcome when walking. So, I was looking down. 

Well, this means I didn't trip on anything or have a bug run across my foot. Instead, I hit my head on a metal electrical box mounted on the wall. And it had sharp edges. Really sharp. So sharp, in fact, that I got a good-sized cut. I didn't think much of it when it first happened (I never do when these things happen) but then my friends reacted with far more concern than I though appropriate. Turns out I had blood running down my face. This cut was worse than I had thought. 

So, we get back to the house, rinse my hands, face, and head from blood. I get a wet rag, and apply some pressure. We all (six of us in a car for  five people) head to the 24 hour family clinic. We get there and only one person can come inside with me. Ultimately it ends up being Josh,my teammate because I figure it's a good idea to have someone can communicate with both myself and the hospital attendants.

They say the cut doesn't need stitches because it's not deep at all. It bled a lot because, well, that's what head wounds do, no matter their size. They clean me up with their special hospital wound cleaning materials and send me on my way. They said I could come back the next day at a normal hour to get a Tetanus shot, but I've already one, so I don't need another.

I'm entirely okay now. It's only a bump on my head with a little scab. It only hurts if I hit it with my brush the wrong way when I'm brushing my hair. So, congratulations Brazil! You've helped me keep my reputation as a clumsy girl who is often entirely unaware of her immediate physical surroundings!

1 comment: