Friday, March 2, 2012

What are you willing to Sacrifice - WV:A


You've probably heard of World Vision. They have a pretty well known child sponsorship program.  There is a section of the company called World Vision ACT:S that focuses on calling high school and college aged folk to act in the name of biblical justice.  I really like them (my friends Sam works there, which makes them even cooler).  They always do something for Lent.  Instead of simply giving up something, they call people to sacrifice with a purpose.  


On Ash Wednesday, they asked the questions, "What does it mean to sacrifice?" and "What are you willing to sacrifice?"  I know I'm a little late, but here are my thoughts on the issue of Sacrifice.

Sacrifice:  giving up something of value in order to receive/allow for something of greater value.

I stopped to think about my practice of lent this year (adding the BCP to my devotional life) in light of sacrifice and what thing of greater value I was allowing for.  I realized that I'm giving up part of my free will.  

Just as God gives up part of his sovereignty (the right to do whatever he wants when he wants) to allow for human free will and action, so I have decided to give up a part of that free will to allow space for more of God's revelation.*  I've been a part of a non-denominational church for my entire life.  We value our free will more than a lot of other things.  And it's great, I love being able to worship and interact with Jesus how I want to.  But part of me has always been curious about what that tradition stuff is all about. So, I decided to give up that freedom to approach Jesus however I want, to participate in tradition, approaching him as the body has for centuries.  It is my intention to give God back a piece of his sovereignty in my life.  And when God reigns, we are promised that Justice and Righteousness come.  That Compassion and Mercy are present.  

God's Sovereighty. Justice and Righteousness.  Compassion and Mercy.  These are things of greater value than my free will, than my ability to approach God however I please.  And maybe, just maybe, during this season of sacrificing myself for the sake of God's reign, I might find my life characterized by the things of God.

*I know there are about a thousand theological points you could argue with me about why I'm wrong and not interpreting the Bible correctly. Please don't, that is not he point of this post.  

No comments:

Post a Comment