Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sacrifice What Surrounds You - WV:A


This was the challenge World Vision ACT:S issued this last week.  I had a few ideas about redecorating my room, hanging different pictures, using different desktop backgrounds and facebook photos, and watching different things online (I normally watch WAY too much television in one week).  But this week has been more different than any I've had in a while.

Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday were so full I couldn't do anything outside of what was planned.  I woke up early, I went to work, got home and went straight to whatever was planned, came home late, and went to bed. I was beat.  Wednesday I had to come home from work and packed for a trip I was taking to Nashville, TN.  How was I to sacrifice what surrounded me?  I had no time, and little personal space to change.

But I did change something.  I physically am in a completely new place.  I am meeting lots and lots of law students. They keep asking me what I do, what my plan is.  And when I don't bring it up, my friend does it for me.  It's forcing me to speak about my passion with people, many of whom don't love Jesus like I do. And it seems weird to them that I want to spend loans to, as they put it, "help poor people not be poor."

This requirement to talk about my future plans is nerve racking.  I've come to realize how close to my heart people in urban poor communities are.  America tends to severely misunderstand them and their situation.  When I talk to people about it I'm so afraid that they are going to tell me that it's a waste of time, or not believe my passion, that somehow they are going to taint it.

Meeting new people, in a new place, has forced me to remember what God has called me too.  So even though I didn't plan on this as my sacrifice this week, God used it his way.  A way that is so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment