Friday, March 30, 2012

stories

Lately, I've been feeling the need to tell stories.  But I don't want to.  Because...well, I don't really know how.  I agonized over every creative writing assignment I was ever given.  I think I even had my sister write a short story for me once because I just couldn't do it. 

But stories are important.  

They are what move people. Inspire people. Connect people.  It's how has revealed himself to me.  The Bible is a collection of stories that tell a greater story.  I can spend hours in a novel.  I watch endless amounts of television programming because I want to know what happens.  I ask people far to personal of questions because I want to know their story, the one they don't tell very often because they are afraid of what they've buried, what they don't realize affected them.  

I love stories.  But I'm terrified of being the storyteller.  

I've never thought my words were good enough.  I'm always worried about being accurate.  I either get too wrapped up in the details or too far gone in the big picture.  

But I will try.  Because the need/desire/yearning/obligation I feel to tell them...I don't think it's my own.  I think it's a part of something God is doing in me, or will do in me.  I can think of no other reason for it to have appeared.  I settled a long time ago with not being good at it.  I always figured someone else could tell the stories, and I could read/watch/hear them.  I was good at other things.  Like math.  And organizing.  And theology. 

but now i will learn to tell stories.  bear with me, as this will definitely be a process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment