Friday, July 8, 2011

Emotionally Lying

I've been reading a lot of blogs lately. Most of them are by peoople I know who are adventuring abroad or embarking on big life plans. But some are by people I don't know. Most of these are by Christians, but a few are not.

As I read them, I find that Christian writers tend to frustrate me. Not all the time. But there are certain ones that feel fake, or forced. As I read them, I feel as though the writer has this obligation to make it happy, inspiring, or to give it the "everything works out in the end" spin. That kind of mentality makes me angry. It frustrates me, a lot.

But it got me thinking. Why do some Christians feel the need to put a positive spin on everything? It's like they can't let themselves be angry or frustrated, as if those are somehow 'bad' emotions. I think being honest about how life sucks sometimes is way healthier and understandable than putting a positive spine on everything! I know it's them trying not to dwell on the bad mood, or trying to find a way out of a dark place. But I think it's just as important to recognize the dark place for what it is. We are humans, we go through tough times. Stop feeling and seeing the world how you think you are supposed to see it and just be honest about what it is for you in the moment you are in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment