Wednesday, November 24, 2010

10 observations of an early morning

1. 4 am. I don’t understand English; it literally sounds like a foreign language. I didn’t understand anything the driver of my super shuttle said to me. When he got out of the van he either said “Hold On” or “Hello.” My bet’s on the latter, but I can’t be sure. Then he went to the back of the van and said something. I assumed he asked if I had any luggage, but that’s definitely not what I hear. After I handed him my bag, and I’m pretty sure he said “Last name,” but again, I don’t know if I would have picked that one up if it hadn’t been for other taxi experiences in DC. Later he got a phone call and was talking on the phone. I could not understand anything he was saying, it was so weird. But I know he was speaking English.

2. We drove past a street in Virginia named Mt. Pleasant Drive. I just couldn’t help but think that slightly ironic, considering that I’m going to Mt. Pleasant, SC.

3. Street names on the East Coast are weird. They are real things, with adjectives and all. Great Falls Drive. Green Camp Ave. It’s like the street names are actually describing what’s on that street. But they’re probably only odd to me because of where I’ve lived. In Hawaii street names are Hawaiian, for the most part. In California it seems like they are primarily either names or words in Spanish or Native American.

4. I don’t think Super Shuttle operates on Maui. I keep wanting to call it Speedi Shuttle, which I’m almost positive is the comparable Maui company. In my head it will always be Speedi Shuttle.

5. Dulles Airport people directors (they stand around and make sure people follow all posted signs and what not, but aren’t TSA). Anyway, they were really spiffy uniforms; they look like they could all be pilots, or bellhops.

6. Dulles Airport is not laid out in an efficient manner. All gates use the same security line, and not even that is laid out well. They really need to rethink the process; they have enough space to do it better.

7. Those new screening machines that everyone is all up in arms about make me think I’m going off into space. Blast off!

8. The girl in front of me in the security line had a really cute purple bag. I want one like it.

9. Being at the airport this early should be illegal. Doing anything at 4 in the morning should be illegal. I mean, it’s already a sin, we should just outlaw it.

10. There should be a Starbucks, or other major coffee chain, in every airport terminal. Most other coffee shops in airports just fail by comparison. Kind of like my horrible cup of coffee I’m drinking right now, but my coffee addiction demands I continue drinking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment