Monday, September 13, 2010

Real Life

Well, real life started today. Holy Crap. I think I might die. I'm going to be a very, VERY busy person. I won't have a life. I won't get to do anything for fun. (Ok, that might be my overwhelmed self freaking out a little bit, but there is still a ton of work I have to do).

So, first things first. My internship started today. Just in case you forgot, I'm working for the Business Civic Leadership Center, which is a division of the US Chamber of Commerce. This is a really cool, artsy photo of the building that I found on the internet. The 5th floor is mostly US Chamber of Commerce people. There is one office that is not. I don't know who those people are.

I was only there for half the day today, and nothing too exciting happened, some pretty classic intern duties, filing mostly. I'm working with another intern who is a study abroad student from Germany. She is studying at American University and is a Business major. We'll only work together on Tuesdays, other than that we have opposite schedules.

The I came home and had class half an hour later. I was a little rushed, but I think I will get better at using that time well. At least I think it will stop flustering me as it did today. BUT, then I went to class, and I am sufficiently overwhelmed by the work we have to do. OMG! Basically, I have to become an expert on the prospect of renewable energy in Sub-Saharan Africa. I don't even know the countries that are considered Sub-Saharan Africa. I'll google it and then I'll know, but I'm so far from knowing anything about this. I'm going to learn about two kinds of renewable energy that I didn't even know existed. And I'm going to learn all about business, even though I've never taken a single business class. Then I have to figure out how corporations, governments, and NGO's can, should, and do work together to make this happen. Basically, anything and everything at related to the prospect of developing renewable energy in Sub-Saharan Africa I will know. PLUS, I have to read a book and other articles to grasp an understanding of the general concept of global development.
So yes, that is what real life in Washington DC will look like for Kim. Who decided it was time for me to become a grown up? I don't like that plan.

(But, we had a discussion today about how the most mature of us are those who are mature when they need to be, but then let their inner child out at all other times. By such a definition I am the most mature of all! Yes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment